Monday, August 17, 2009

First Day of School

Well, it's that time of year. New boxes of sharp color crayons, bold colored markers, beautiful pencil bags and sharpened pencils. Can you hear it? It's the collective sigh of relief that parents across the globe are sighing. It's that time of year again. The debit card is crying, "No more!" as we make a final trip to Target. Really? Final? I don't think so. There's always something!

Mary Eloise Bennett made her kindergarten debut on Thursday, August 13th! She was the picture of confidence. What? Where is my child? The nervous wreck? Brian! Ellie was super excited from the moment she got out of bed. Her first words to me were, "Got everything ready, Mama?" I said yes but I was praying that it was true! I had packed her lunch, filled her water bottle, retrieved blankie and Banny from her bed and placed all of these in her backpack. This is the first time my baby would spend the ENTIRE day at school. Her choice for breakfast was cinnamon rolls. Shock! Brian sat on the couch opposite her and watched her eat. It was hilarious. We had our annual photo shoot. I thought we were finished, but Ellie insisted on waking of Mollie to take a picture with her. You see, that's what we did last year. So in Ellie's world, we repeat things just as we had always done them. Mollie wasn't thrilled to have been woken up. Ellie even went in to tell Annie goodbye. It was so sweet! Part of me wanted to scoop her up and say no you are staying with me. While the other part of me was reminding myself of the speed limit. Wouldn't want to get there too quickly!

I love the beginning of school. I love school supply shopping and new school supplies. I just love it all! I also love a routine. (Ever wonder where Ellie gets it?) I was amazed by Ellie. We walked into the Fellowship Hall which was crowded! (E hates crowds!) She saw Mrs. Laws, her K4 teacher, and gave her a big hug before heading to meet her class. She stood with me, calmly waiting for time to go to class. When it was time to go, she asked me to walk with her and told her dad bye. Brian wasn't ready to say goodbye. He walked with us to E's class, stepping on my heals the entire way!! When we got to her room, I told her I wasn't going in. I told her what the routine appeared to be. We got her lunch and water bottle out. I watched as she put them on the shelf and went to hang up her backpack. And, that was it! No tears, no fit, no nothing. She was gone.

What a difference a year makes!!! So far, so good. Ellie is loving school! She loves Mrs. Bricker, her sweet teacher. Even though her good buddies aren't in her class, she gets to see them at recess. So, she's cool. She's made friends with a boy. Yes, a boy! She's also made new friends! She did great going to her enrichment classes and taking a nap! Ellie has matured so much. It is unbelievable.

Praise God!! Now, if we can just convince her that there really are no mistakes in Art class...


Ellie all ready for her first day of Kindergarten. She was thrilled with her new shoes!

Ellie & me

Ellie & Daddy

Ellie & Dunna

Poor Mollie, she did not want to get up.


The poster Mrs. Bricker made for the class.


Ellie walking down the hall.


All smiles after school!!! Yippee!

Oh, and there was a Barbie as a prize!

In case you are wondering, our precious Dunna came over for a few hours so that I could take Ellie to school without the Sisters. She even stayed for a couple of hours so that I could run a couple of errands.

So, sing it with me, "It's the Most Wonderful time of the year!"



No comments: