Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The first day of K3

Last year, on Ellie's first day of Kindergarten, a friend who is our librarian at our school left this article on my desk. I haven't been able to find my copy, but I was able to find it online. I have thought about this a million times over the last week. You see, last week I took my middle baby to K3 for the first time. So I've altered the article a bit to show what it felt like to leave her that day.

Excuse me, Miss Clements: The First Day of K3

Tonight, on the eve of her first day of K3, Mollie lies in her bed. After we hugged and snuggled and kissed goodnight, she was practicing. Practicing saying her K3 teacher’s name in the softest whisper imaginable,

"Excuse me, Miss Clements…"

"Excuse me, Miss Clements…"

"Excuse me, Miss Clements…"

I lay there, listening to her independent vocal stride.

On Tuesday, we went to the school, saw Mollie's classroom and sat at the little tables where she’ll fill her brain with wisdom and insight. And we met Miss Clements. Ever since our meeting, we’ve been practicing saying "Miss Clements" so Mollie can say her teacher’s name with ease on her first day.

I, too, have been practicing her name.

"Excuse me, Miss Clements, but today I’m leaving my baby girl with you. Please protect her as if she is your own. Please look after her and always keep her best interests and safety in mind.

"Excuse me, Miss Clements, would you please know that my sweet Mollie is active and vivacious but please, please help her integrate with the other students?

"Excuse me, Miss Clements, but I’m going to leave now. I may stop in the bathroom with the tiny little toilets and throw up after departing this classroom because I not only leave you my daughter today but also my heart. Then, Miss Clements, I’ll try like hell not to bawl all the way home so as not to permanently scar Annie about the pending arrival of her k3 debut in a few short years.

"I know she’s ready, Miss Clements. So I’ll leave you two to continue her journey. Together. I’ll pick up where you leave off, at 11:45 each day.

"Goodbye, Miss Clements. Goodbye, Mollie. I’ll meet you on the other side of the day. I love you.”


Excuse me, Mrs. LaGory: The First Day of Kindergarten




Ellie and Mollie on Mollie's first day of K3